Re: New sed in latest

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > So, with the new sed behavior the following is no longer going to work,
> > right?
>
> No, not right.

It _looks_ like Charles is right....

> > ---dos2unix----
> > #!/bin/bash
> > sed 's/^M//' $1
> > ---------------
> >
> > Where the '^M' is generated by pressing CTRL-V, CTRL-M.
> >

> In text mode, it is the \n that terminates the read.  If there is a \r
> preceding the \n it will also be removed and the count read reduced by one.  If
> there is no preceding \r then the count returned is the number actually read.

....because, on a cursory review, the sed script mentioned, which used
to find \r in the DOS format file and remove them, thus making a UNIX
format file, will no longer find them, since as you say they have been
"removed and the count reduced by one."

But sed writes to standard output.  So the correct answer (I think) is
that, to capture the "dos2unix" output, the script would need to be
redirected to a file.  If the file is in a binary mounted environment,
then it will be UNIX format, if it is text mounted it would continue to
be DOS format.

Is this an accurate analysis?

Thanks,

--