Re: Newbie AUTOEXEC.BAT question

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 04:31:24PM -0400, Paul MacDonald wrote:
>I'm use emacs for windows 95 as my text editor to create LaTeX
>documents.  I've just installed the cygwin packages including the
>latest ispell port.
>
>In order for emacs to find/use ispell, I added the following lines to
>my autoexec.bat file:
>
>set path=c:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;%path%
>set path=c:\cygwin\bin;%path%
>
>Now I find that I can execute ls and other commands in a regular dos
>window (i.e., without starting cygwin from the start menu).  I was
>working under the assumption that to use the cygwin packages, cygwin
>would have to be started from the start menu.
>
>Have I done anything wrong or is there a better way to do this?

Cygwin commands are normal Windows commands.  If an executable can be
found in the path, it can be executed.  This is exactly the same as
UNIX.

The cygwin installation provides a convenient method to access cygwin
commands by adding something to the start menu, but that's all that it
is.  There is nothing magical here.

cgf