inetd doesn't work until stopped and restarted

I have ftpd, telnetd, sshd etc all running fine via inetd (with the
exception of the missing ftp directories), except for one thing.

inetd is set up to start automatically as an NT service. If I reboot, then
try to connect to my machine, things don't work. For example:

[c:\]ssh mortgage
ssh_exchange_identification: read: error 0

[c:\]ftp mortgage
Connected to mortgage.berkeley.edu.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp>

If I stop and then restart inetd, all is fine. For example,

[c:\]net stop inetd
The CYGWIN inetd service is stopping.
The CYGWIN inetd service was stopped successfully.

[c:\]net start inetd
The CYGWIN inetd service is starting.
The CYGWIN inetd service was started successfully.

[c:\]ssh mortgage
stanton@mortgage's password:

Any idea what the problem is?

By the way, CYGWIN=binmode tty ntsec