Get info working

I've noticed that info path searching doesn't appear to work 'out of the
box' for the net release.
I've done some searching, and appear to have glimmers of things I need to
do to get it working, but can't quite grok it.
Anyone have a pointer?
Info always responds thusly, INFOPATH, --directory , or whatever.
info: dir: No such file or directory
Only when I do info --file /usr/info/gcc.info or the like does it work.

Also wouldn't mind finding a larger set of info files for the various
utilities (bash), but I'm sure I can find those.