Re: Make and javac compliler problem in bash

At 01:26 PM 6/12/00 -0700, Woody Jin wrote:
>At 11:53 AM 6/12/00 -0400, you wrote:
>>At 10:21 AM 6/12/00 -0700, you wrote:
>> ><Problem 1>
>> >I have a Makefile which compiles java program, if I type
>> >make, after the screen shows the "javac xxxx.java", and then
>> >hangs.  The Makefile doesn't need to
>> >be complex. Any simple Makefile that compiles even HelloWorld.java
>> >will make the bash console stuck.
>>
>>See "Why is make behaving badly?" in the Cygnus faq at
>>http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/faq/
>
>1) I think that you are misunderstanding the problem.
>2) You think that everything is in FAQ ?
>Whatever you do, "make" will stuck with javac.

Did you actually try running make in Unix mode as suggested in the FAQ?

>> ><Problem 2>
>> >It seems to me that javac in Windows will accept directories only in
>> >MS-DOS way. For example, "javac -classpath /a/b/c" won't work.
>> >

>>How could it be otherwise? The Windows version of javac is, surprise, a
>>Windows application. Windows applications don't recognize Unix paths. Ergo,
>>the Windows version of javac does not recognize Unix paths. QED.
>

>Why can't it be otherwise ? Lack of imagination ?  QED ( :-) )
>1) I thought that javac, being a product of Sun Microsystem, (and there exist
>     its counterpart in Unix) would accept unix style path, which I found
>is  not
>     the case. It is better to write an application to accept both styles.
>Maybe
>     we should request Sun to do it, letting them know that in Windows there
>     are many Unix tool users.
>2) Rather than messing around the backslash and slash all over the places,
>     and make Makefiles and other shell scripts incompatible with the Unix,
>     (for example, I want to use the same Makefile on both platform - yes,
>I have
>      Sunworkstation on my left side and WindowsNT on my right side),
>     maybe, bash or some other utility registers applications which requires
>     windows specific path, and whenever you use unix style path, it
>automatically
>     converts to MS-DOS style when the system finally gives the application
>the path.

Think about what you're asking. If you come up with a general, complete
solution to the problem of unambiguously converting DOS to Unix paths, and
vice-versa, without any additional information than what is in the paths
(don't forget the little problem of drive letters), patent it. A lot of
people would be very interested in your solution.

- Paul