Re: Make and javac compliler problem in bash

Paul Kinnucan wrote:

> >> How could it be otherwise? The Windows version of javac is,
> >> surprise, a Windows application. Windows applications don't
> >> recognize Unix paths. Ergo, the Windows version of javac does not
> >> recognize Unix paths. QED.
> >
> >Actually, Win32 _does_ allow path names to use forward slashes as the
> >directory separator.  The FAQ question you pointed out above even
> >mentions
>
> But not to BEGIN a path as in Jin's example.

That's certainly not what you wrote above, is it?  Nor is it true.  There is
nothing inherent in Win32 that says it can't use paths that begin with a "/"
.  Try pulling up a command prompt and type

   notepad /path/to/a/file

This works on my system (Windows 2000).  Some programs are written in such a
way that they can handle forward slashes in paths.  "command.com" and
"cmd.exe" have some problems dealing with them, and it looks like "javac"
does too.  This is _not_ a limitation in Windows as you assert, but a
limitation of this programs.

> - Paul

Carl Thompson