Re: Make and javac compliler problem in bash

At 02:06 PM 6/12/00 -0700, Carl Thompson wrote:

>> >Actually, Win32 _does_ allow path names to use forward slashes as the
>> >directory separator.  The FAQ question you pointed out above even
>> >mentions
>>
>> But not to BEGIN a path as in Jin's example.
>
>That's certainly not what you wrote above, is it?  Nor is it true.  There is
>nothing inherent in Win32 that says it can't use paths that begin with a "/"
>.  Try pulling up a command prompt and type
>
>   notepad /path/to/a/file

This is simply a shorthand for currentdrive:/path/to/a/file. If you want to
call this a Unix path, fine. I call it a pseudo Unix path of limited
utility. I think it's misleading to generalize from this that some Windows
applications accept Unix paths. In so doing, you're obscuring what's really
going on and implying capabilities that do not exist.

- Paul