Re: Make and javac compliler problem in bash

At 04:15 PM 6/12/00 -0700, Woody Jin wrote:
>At 02:56 PM 6/12/00 -0400, Paul Kinnucan wrote:
>>
>> >Whatever you do, "make" will stuck with javac.
>> >

>>Did you actually try running make in Unix mode as suggested in the FAQ?
>

>Of course.

And what happened? Were you able to get your makefile to work?

>> >1) I thought that javac, being a product of Sun Microsystem, (and there
>> exist
>> >     its counterpart in Unix) would accept unix style path, which I found
>> >is  not
>> >     the case. It is better to write an application to accept both styles.
>> >Maybe
>> >     we should request Sun to do it, letting them know that in Windows
there
>> >     are many Unix tool users.
>> >2) Rather than messing around the backslash and slash all over the places,
>> >     and make Makefiles and other shell scripts incompatible with the Unix,
>> >     (for example, I want to use the same Makefile on both platform - yes,
>> >I have
>> >      Sunworkstation on my left side and WindowsNT on my right side),
>> >     maybe, bash or some other utility registers applications which
requires
>> >     windows specific path, and whenever you use unix style path, it
>> >automatically
>> >     converts to MS-DOS style when the system finally gives the application
>> >the path.
>> >

>>Think about what you're asking. If you come up with a general, complete
>>solution to the problem of unambiguously converting DOS to Unix paths, and
>>vice-versa, without any additional information than what is in the paths
>>(don't forget the little problem of drive letters), patent it. A lot of
>>people would be very interested in your solution.
>

>It doesn't need to be so genius. For example, try "gvim", which is a
>Windows GUI implementation of vim. I can run it using any path names I want
>under any environment (whether from MS-DOS console or bash console).

I said "without any additional information" because you couched your
requirement in a general way. The solution you're suggesting requires that
a user install Cygwin and create a mount table that maps DOS to Unix paths.

I suspect this is a solution of limited appeal to most developers of
Windows applications, including Sun.

It would be great if Sun or someone else ports javac to Cygwin, but at the
moment javac is a native Windows application and that was the situation I
addressed in my original response to you.

- Paul