From: "Peter Rasmussen" <raz@zip.com.au>
To: <pre-sales@cygnus.com>
Subject: Set Up
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:36:19 +1000

Hello

I’m having trouble installing your Cygwin software.  Can you tell me if I’m
using ‘Setup.exe’ correctly?  I have layed out my procedure below.

I downloaded all the files from:
ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/latest/
to the D:\ directory.

In my C:\ directory I created a folder called “cygnus” and in that a folder
called “cygwin-b20”.

I ran Setup.exe.  At the prompt:
Root directory? [C:\]

If I just hit enter (without having put folders in in advance) it throws a
large number of loose files straight into the C:\ directory.  It does not
create a cygnus folder.

When I type in:
\cygnus\cygwin-b20

Setup puts 4 folders in the “cygwin-b20” folder.  In the C:\ directory it
puts:
Var,bin,etc (folders)
inetutils-1.3.2.README
login.README
uninst

It puts a MS DOS shortcut called
“Cygwin 1.1.0” in my ‘Start’ menu.  When I click on it, it reboots the
computer in DOS and stops at a black screen which says:
“Windows 98 is now starting your MS DOS based program.

DOSkey installed.

Warning:  The lock command enables direct disc access by programs that can
corrupt file names or destroy disc data resulting in the loss of files on
your disc.

Are you sure (Y/N)?”

On answering ‘y’ yes it returns “Bad file command…” and reboots to windows.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Peter