Make

I've been attempting to get make to work (with Java), without any luck.

Actually, I should be more specific - make works, but I cannot get it to
work properly if I choose to compile the java files to an alternate
directory from the source (that is, specify the '-d' option).

The rules's Im using use full pathnames (/src/src/... and for the .java
files and /src/classes/... for the classes) for argets and dependencies.
These rules are generated by jdeps.

When I run make - it compiles the files.
When I run make again - it compiles the files again.
It does not seem to perform an 'incremental' build.

Weird thing is, when re-generate the dependency information, so that javac
does not generate to an alternate directory (that is, I remove the '-d'
option), it works. Successive runs of make do NOT rebuild everything.

Is this a known fault?
Is there a workaround?

Help!

Neil