Re: gdb and threads

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 04:59:52PM -0400, Arlen Barr wrote:
>Are threads fully supported with the cygwin gdb?

Yes.  Thread 1 is normally the main thread.  Thread 2 is normally the
signal handling thread and is maintained by gdb.  Thread 3 can be a
thread for handling processes if any have been forked or execed.

I use gdb to debug what's going on in thread 2 all of the time.

Other threads pop up when there is a Windows signal or exception.
This is standard Windows behavior.

Btw, if you are not already doing so, you should be running the
newest cygwin version of gdb.

>I'm stepping through code, and although gdb reports only one thread
>(well it lists two, but the first one does not refer to any source
>file), execution suddenly jumps to a point in libstdc++ (version
>2.10.0) without any apparent reason (and then procedes to segmentation
>fault).  The code crashes at seemly random places (in my code) leading
>me to believe that a cygwin library has spawned a thread which is
>crashing.

If cygwin was spawning a random thread it would be dying somewhere in
the cygwin DLL, not in your code.

I don't have any further insight into what is going on here.  Offhand
it sounds like stack corruption.

cgf