Re: Tar.exe doing nothing

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 10:52:50PM -0500, Matthew Smith wrote:
>There's no need to be obnoxious about it.  I was just pointing out a method
>that works on more than just cygwin.  Chill.
>
>>On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 10:31:06PM -0500, Matthew Smith wrote:
>>>gunzip < filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>>>
>>>That will work with most any version of tar.
>>
>cgf wrote:
>>
>>Of course, we're talking about Cygwin, which uses GNU tar, and GNU tar
>>will happily use the option that I mentioned.
>>
>>If you want to do more typing, this mechanism works great, too.
>>
>>Or, if you want to vary this slightly and confuse the issue a little
>>more, you can also do:
>>
>>zcat filename.tar.gz | tar xvf - gzip -c -d filename.tar.gz | tar xvf -
>>/bin/gunzip -c < ./filename.tar.gz | /bin/tar -x -v -f - -C .
>>
>>If you are looking to do the maximum amount of typing then the last
>>option is obviously the best.

Actually, telling me to "Refrigerate" would probably be better.  It has
the same connotation and uses more characters.

Or, maybe even, (scientific) "Lower the temperature of your epidermis
by eliminating all ambient heat sources."

Or, (semi-hostile) "Stick some ice cubes down your pants."

Or, (practical) "Remove all of your clothing and stand in front of an air conditioner."

Or, (geographical) "Go swimming in the Maine seashore."

Or, (connotative) "Go take a cold shower."

Or, (dangerous) "Climb inside your refrigerator and shut the door."

Or, (impractical) "Go lick a glacier."

Or, (computer geeky) "Go strap a Peltier cooler to your head."

Or, (geeky) "Go bite the head off a frozen chicken."

Or, (haiku) "The wind hits the tree/Snow falls, it brushes your neck/Shivver now with cold."

Anyway, point taken.  Sorry.

cgf
(Apologies also to Cyrano de Bergerac)