Re: compiling and running zsh

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 09:18:27AM -0500, fosburgh@flash.net wrote:
 >This is not the account I am subscribed from, that mail server is
 >currently being blocked for strange reasons, and there is nothing we
 >can do about it.  :(

The only reason that we block mail servers is if they have been reported
to ORBS as open relays.  Open relays are used by spammers to send their
email without implicating their local ISP.

The way to eliminate this is to work with your ISP to close all open
relays.

<snip>

cgf

At 10:52 AM 7/6/2000, fosburgh@flash.net wrote:
>Responding to Chris Faylor:
>
>No, our mail server is not an open relay, but one of the Lotus Notes servers (which my group has no control over) *is* an open relay, and ORBS relays through that one via the primary mail server, and so they block both of them. No other spam blocker I have seen is blocking us, or at least the primary mail server. We don't like having the open Notes server, but we have to deal with bureaucracy.

Since I've made this point before, I'll be brief.  While in theory it makes
allot of sense to use ORBS to help control spam, in practice it pushes the
responsibility for managing spam onto the posters of this list.  As this
poster notes, he has no control over what relays are made to reach the Cygwin
mail server.  In my case, my ISP does not have an open relay but ORBS
classifies it as such since it will send email with any address once an
email client checks email using an address of a valid user (actually,
my ISP and ORBS seem to vacillate on whether this constitutes an open relay
or not so my mail is sometime blocked and sometimes not.)  My ISP claims
this arrangement is necessary for them and personally, I don't see why this
arrangement constitutes an open relay.  Regardless, the point is that I don't
have control over this either, just like the poster.  I've long thought that
its inappropriate for mail lists to block email based on ORBS, since its
basically just a case of "passing the buck" onto the user community, which
discourages participation.  I understand the need to control spam, but I
fail to see why its more the responsibility of individual posters than it
is of the sites controlling the list.  Certainly it seems like at least
*subscribers* to this list shouldn't be blocked regardless...

I've made my point (again!;-)).  I'm done cluttering the list...