Win98 hangs building egcs

I have a slight problem that I would appreciate comments on.

I am wondering if cygwin-1.1.2 under Win98 has problems "running
for long time and/or many commands per session"?

The problems I encounter is this. I am trying to build snapshots of
the GCC development sources (available at http://gcc.gnu.org). But,
as far as I can tell, arbitrarily, Win98 hangs and I have to turn my
machine off and then on again. It happens at different lengths into
the build process.

Now, is there anyone else out there that has a similar experience?

How could I "debug" this hang?

Would it happen under NT/2k?

TIA,

/ChJ