gui+console events: select for GetMessage?

Does anyone know if there is a way to use select() to wait for Win32
GUI events that are read by GetMessage, while also waiting for stdin
activity?  I have an application that in unix uses select() on the fd
for the X display, so you can either use the console (xterm) interface
or the X interface, at the same time.  I would like to use something
like this same trick in windows, but haven't figured anything out yet.

I would like to avoid having to rewrite everything for a grahical
console window (which would operate under the GetMessage event loop),
unless of course there is something already written that is very easy
to create and it basically acts just like the regular console window,
including supporting readline (which I use).  It looked like the gdb
in cygwin has something like that, so if anyone knows about how that
works, I'd appreciate any pointers (I know, use the source..)  Thanks,

				- Randy

| Dr. Randall C. O'Reilly   |                                    |
| Assistant Professor       | Phone: (303) 492-0054              |
| Department of Psychology  | Fax:   (303) 492-2967              |
| Univ. of Colorado Boulder | Home:  (303) 448-1810              |
| Muenzinger D251C          | Cell:  (720) 839-7751              |
| Campus Box 345            | email: oreilly@psych.colorado.edu  |
| Boulder, CO 80309-0345    | www:   psych.colorado.edu/~oreilly |