From: Chris Faylor [mailto:cgf@cygnus.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2000 1:45 AM
To: Cygwin
Subject: Re: untarring gcc-2.95.2-2 (howto use md5 ?)

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 11:51:01AM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Mark -
>  this error is because /libiberty (the directory) is created as a link
>to ../../libiberty or something like that. Remove the libiberty link,
>and 'mkdir libiberty' instead. Then, 'tar xvzf gcc-2.95.2-2/libiberty/*'
>
>  This isn't technically a packaging error, because the src tarball is
>built to be unpackaged as part of a larger 'src' directory including
>binutils and cygwin/winsup, which all use a shared libiberty directory.

It is a packaging error.  The symbolic link should not have made it into
the tar ball.  The source files in libiberty are in the tar file but the
symbolic link masks that.

You should be able to get around this by first creating the libiberty
directory
and then do the extraction.  You should get an error but then the extraction
should proceed as normal.

I'm intrigued by the mention of "Mumit's patch" here, though.  What is this
patch?  Is Mumit ready to take back the gcc reins?

cgf
>Mark Van De Vyver wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I've had trouble untarring gcc-2.95.2-2-src.tar.gz (13,077,613 bytes)
>> the type of message I get is:
>> tar: gcc-2.95.2-2/libiberty/xstrerror.c: Could not create file: No such
file
>> or directory
>>
>> Things went fine for gcc-2.95.2 tho after applying Mumit's patch and the
>> pgcc patch (without errors) the make failed (configure went ok) so I
thought
>> I'd try and build a vanilla gcc before asking what went wrong there...
>> So pulled the latest sources down from aarnet.edu.au now tar zxf ...
fails