Re: Question about rights after setup.

jens@uniweb.se wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  I tried to find some information about how to install and how it should look after installation. But I did not find any information about how things like users rights and things like that would be setup. I did install cygwin using v1.48 of setup. And after setup ls -l reports all the files having administrator as owner and None as group. I'm no UNIX expert.

That has nothing to do with UNIX but it's NT security.

> So I don't know if this is normal. root have the same id as
administrator. When I do mkpasswd all the users, except for Everyone och
SYSTEM, belongs to the None group. I expected administrator to belong to
the Administrators. Is this correct??? Or am I doing something wrong?

Read that mail from the mailing list archive:

It explains most of the security related stuff, for example the
administrators thingy.

One of the exciting NT/W2K features is that each user on a stand alone
system (eg. outside of a domain) is on one hand member of a local
existing group (administrators, power users, etc.) but on the other
hand his/her primary group is always and unchangable `None' which
is a group which you never can see in the NT user adminstration tools.

The reason for that seems to be that 'None' will mutate automatically
to `Domain Users' as far as the box will become a domain controller.
Note, that this is only a speculation.

>  One of the reasons I'm looking on this thing with rights is that when I created the passwd/groups files using mkpasswd/mkgroup I changed the group in passwd to corrspond to the 'correct' group, as in NT. Is this a good thing to do? Now I don't have any user in the group None.

That's ok. The group membership which you has given in mkpasswd
will be taken into account by Cygwin as long as you have the
environment variable CYGWIN changed so that it contains the string
"ntsec". For more information to CYGWIN please refer to the online docs.

>  Another thing I'm having problem with at the moment is using the su command. I'm trying to do 'su - root'. But I get the error 'su: cannot set user id: Not owner'. Should su work??

No. This is a result of the NT security. It _is_ solvable but
you always have to give a password also when you are admin.
The NT resource kit contains a NT native solution for a su
command.

If you want to know more about NT security, take a look into the
MSDN Library. There are enough details about NT security to drive
you crazy ;-)

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen