RE: make --win32 incorrectly handles PATH

I do in fact have a copy of the make source; I downloaded it the same day I
downloaded the executable. And, personally, I would love to get into the
code and (try to) fix this problem (as well as the one with canned sequence
command echo). But alas, there are some non-trivial obstacles:

a) I've attempted twice to build make.exe on my machine, and failed
miserably. I can't afford to spend days or even hours trying and figure out
how to make it work. I'd also have to figure out how to compile with debug
turned on.

b) I've never learned gdb (I tried to learn command-line gdb once, but gave
up in disgust). I can't afford to spend days or even hours trying and figure
out how to use it.

c) Helping write/maintain FREE software is not what my company hired me to
do. I'm doubtful that I could convince my boss to let me spend the time. I'm
already behind on several high-profile deadlines because of the
detective/diagnostic work I've already done.

d) With my apologies to "FREE" software proponents everywhere, my company
exists to profit from non-free software. If, as an employee of a company
that sells non-free software, I modify the make source, then we distribute
the cygwin1.dll and (modified) make.exe binaries, and our customers use that
make.exe to compile our code on their machines, what implications does that
have vis-a-vis the GPL?? Both for us, and for our customers, who in-turn,
may profit from selling non-free software?? Well, we don't even want to go
there! We don't have much of a legal department. We figured we were safe
distributing the publicly-available binaries, but we don't want to go beyond
that.

If you can help me overcome these obstacles, I may be able to help out (but
no promises). (Chris -- Feel free to contact me directly, if that's more
appropriate.)

Regards,

Scott Carter
Software Engineer