From: Randall R Schulz
To: Earnie Boyd; Jens Yllman; GNUWin32
Sent: 7/24/00 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: What does ls do?

Jens, Earnie,

One can also infer some of ls's or the Cygwin DLL's "stat" activities
from
their behavior.

I've observed that files that begin with "#!" will get tagged with an
execute bit. Obviously the implication is that the file's contents are
examined when the file is "stat"-ed, since the executability of #!
scripts
is not a Windows feature, but rather one that is emulated by the Cygwin
DLL.

Thus an "ls -l" or "ls -F" or "ls -t" or any ls option that requires
that
files be "stat"-ed will be slow when applied to directories with lots of

files. Likewise, virus scanners are also going to be triggered by a
"stat"
call. This will slow things down further...

Randall Schulz
Teknolwedge Corp.
Palo Alto, CA USA

At 10:08 AM 07/24/2000 , Earnie Boyd wrote:
>--- Jens Yllman <jens@uniweb.se> wrote:
> >  What does ls realy do? The reason I wonder is because I just
noticed that
> > my virus program gets triggered for every file that is in the
directory
> > that where I use ls. And all the file with the right(wrong)
extension
> > get search by the virusprogram. And this makes ls very slow.
> >

>The best answer to your question about ls is "Use the source, Luke".
Your
>virus program must be triggered by a file being opened or even stat'ed.
If