Re: setup, filesystem, perl, rpm, and ftp problems

Jim.

#1. The cygcheck output is a valuable tool to help diagnose your screwed
up system. I notice:

You have '/' mounted from C:\
but have something called '/root' mounted from 'D:\cygwin'

You then cross-mounted '/bin', '/home', '/etc', and '/var' from
directories under D:\cygwin, but you do NOT have empty directories on
C:\ (I assume) with those names.  This is necessary for mount to work
correctly (just like unix). If you want access the real directory I:\foo
by cd'ing to /bar, you must create a directory called 'bar' in the '/'
directory. It can be empty; that's fine. But it must exist.

Since C:\ = '/', you need C:\bin, C:\var, C:\home, etc...

Why are you doing this? just mount D:\cygwin as '/'

#2. I'm gonna remove 5.6.0-RC1 from cygutils. This is the third or
fourth error report I've gotten in the last two weeks from people who
'just downloaded' RC1. It's only there for historical reasons. Why don't
you use the *final* *released* version, perl-5.6.0 ??? It has a later
datestamp in the 'Changes' section, the RC1 page specifically says that
it's a *release candidate*. I just don't understand....

#3. The rpm errors are because rpm was not installed correctly. You
*did* read the instructions, right? "rpm --initdb" and "touch /etc/mtab"
before doing *anything*. And it's not enough to just remount /usr in
binary mode -- rpm stores its databases under /var so /var must be
mounted binary. There may be others. The fact is, RPM is not perfectly
ported yet -- although that could be fixed soon given the 'binmode.o'
stuff in the latest cygwin kernel release (1.1.3 just released today).

#4. You need binutils as well as gcc to compile stuff.

#5. To compile modules for perl, *IF* you are using my precompiled perl,
you *must* also have all the libraries installed that I had when I built
it. (That's a perl thing, not a cygwin thing. Perl basically recompiles
itself each time, so...) These are listed on the perl page on cygutils,
and all the packages necessary can be downloaded from cygutils. However,
you're better off building perl yourself from source, if you want to
build packages. FWIW, the sys/sem.h file is from the cygipc library.

#6. You don't say if the perl module RPM's that you are installing are
from cygutils, or from Rebum's cjb.net site. If they were from cygutils
-- whoa. Don't try to mix Rebum's perl-5.6.0 RPM with my perl module
RPMs. Bad idea. You're on your own.

#7. Your note about ^Z is completely offtopic for this message. Please
try to group your error reports by subject -- most folks probably saw
your message and said, "Oh -- a perl problem. Delete." For that matter,
the perl stuff is different from the setup stuff.

Jim Cygnet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed Cygwin from the tar.gz files on
> mirror.aarnet.edu.au on a windows 95 machine. There were a few problems. But
> before I can talk about this
> I apparently have to post several hundred lines of
> bumpf--

[snip]

> 1) The setup program did nothing. It would produce
> a number of screens which I negotiated without
> its complaining then it would disappear.

Probably because it was confused about your pre-existing mount setup.

> 2) After following the instructions on how to install
> "manually" (starting with the bootstrap zip) my bin
> and usr/bin are distinct directories with disjoint
> contents. I understand from the FAQ that this isn't
> how it's supposed to be. Does it matter?

Yes.

> 3) I didn't want to compile C programs but I did
> want to run Perl scripts so initially I didn't
> download the gcc or binutils tarballs. I did download
> perl-5.6.0-RC1 from cygutils.netpedia.net but found
> it didn't support the LWP module.
>
> I went back to netpedia but it was down so I downloaded
> LWP and its dependencies from CPAN. These contain .c
> files so I installed gcc. They still didn't compile
> because of missing header files (sys/sem.h and one other).
>
> Fortunately netpedia was back up and I found they had
> a pointer to a collection of modules at cygwin.cjb.net
> in RPM format. SO I download the rpm tarball, install
> that, spend a good deal more time downloading all
> the rpm files (which I have to do via another
> computer since my only access to the Win95 machine
> is via telnet/ftp and the rpms appeard to be available
> only by http).
>
> I remount my /usr directory in binary mode because the
> page where I got rpm from said it only works in
> binmode filesystems. rpm then proceeds to not work, eg
>
> bash-2.04$ rpm -i --ignoreos perl-5_6_0-Digest-MD5-2_09-2-cygwin1_1_i386.rpm
> failed to open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
> cannot read header at 24 for lookup
> bash-2.04$ rpm -qa
> could not read database record!
> bash-2.04$ rpm -i --ignoreos perl-5_6_0-MIME-Base64-2_11-2-cygwin1_1_i386.rpm
> failed to open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
> bash-2.04$ rpm --version
> RPM version 3.0.4
>
> 4) I notice that backgrounding ftp with ^Z doesn't
> work: on foregrounding it acts as though I had typed
> "bye".

Jim, I notice a pattern in your sequence of events above. Rather than
investigating each error as it occured, and trying to figure out WHY it
was occuring, you hared off on some other rabbit trail.

Setup quits? Okay, give up on setup and do it by hand.
<<there's probably a *reason* setup quit. fix your system>>

gcc fails because sem.h is missing? Okay, give up.
<<instead of locating and installing sem.h>>

rpm can't find /etc/mtab? okay, try it again anyway with a different
.rpm file
<<instead of creating /etc/mtab, or reading on cygutils the installation
procedure for rpm -- you know, Rebum's RPM package needs to be installed
just like mine does..."rpm --initdb" and "touch /etc/mtab">>

If you have a problem in your system's configuration that causes one
package to fail -- it'll probably affect the next package you try, as
well. Track down the problem and fix it. None of us (me, Rebum, Stipe,
whoever) are going to post deliberately broken packages. If they don't
work on your system, there's probably a reason...

--Chuck