"Accent problem" still not fixed in current cygwin release

Hello everybody.

My name is Andreas Eibach, and today is the first time that I get your
messages here on my mailer.

Well I got very bad news for you: this accent (dead-key) problem on my
German keyboard is still not fixed  in current 1.1.x releases.

For about two (!) years now, I've been using cygwin32 beta 20.1 release
without having updated ever within this time period.
Well, now I adventured inside the lion's den :-), and I updated to 1.1.4.

But this accents problem still don't seem to work.
Whilst a Scandinavian guy gave me this GREAT hint to use bash with
the --noediting flag (thank you!), even this doesn't work in current release
_anymore_.

THAT IS:
I can't even write a primitive shell script in this thing because I don't
have the inverted apostroph I need to _execute_ unix commands, eg

cp -p $1 `echo $2 | sed 's/foo/bar//g'`
             ^
Yes, it's THIS baby that doesn't want to appear on my cygwin screen!
And I couldn't get a way to activate it so far.

I appreciate any of  your help.

Regards,
 Andreas Eibach