RE: __infinity defined twice in libcygwin.a and libm.a (Compiling perl)

Michael Ring wrote:
>I just tried to compile perl 5.6.0 (and finally succeeded) but on my
>way I had to remove all references to libm.a from the makefiles of
>perl because the linker complained that __infinity was defined both in
>libm and libcygwin.

libm.a should be a symlink to libcygwin.a.  The -lm that Perl's
Configure adds is somewhat of an historic artifact, however at
least to date it has never caused any problems.

Are you running Cygwin-1.1.4 (with the dll_entry.o fix)?
binutils-20000722-1?  gcc-2.95.2-2.tar.gz?

Also, I have submitted 4 patches to perl5-porters since perl-5.6.0
was released (and they are in the latest perl-current tree):

	http://www.egroups.com/message/perl5-porters/67725
	http://www.egroups.com/message/perl5-porters/69079
	http://www.egroups.com/message/perl5-porters/69270
	http://www.egroups.com/message/perl5-porters/71082

With what I described above, assuming you accept all the
defaults to Configure (run as Configure -de) Perl builds
cleanly on my machine (in spite of the unnecessary reference
to -lm).

Anyway, I have no idea why you are seeing linker errors.

Hope this helps.

Eric Fifer