dll creation problem.

I have been using cygwin 20b1 to make dll's for use in JNI applications, and it had been working really well for some time.  I recently 'upgraded' by cygwin release to v1.1 (I think), and now when I try to compile code that used to work, it fails.  I have been using the dllhelpers package, which seems to be the only resource on the net regading this topic.

Thee compile crashes when using dlltool to make the .dll file, the message is:
  --------
  libcygwin.a(dll_entry.o)(.text+0xfa):dll_entry.cc: undefined reference
  to `_cygwin_dll_entry@12'
  --------

I cannot figure out what a likely fix might be.

regards,
peter.