Re: newbie: using su

Last I heard, su won't do anything for you in Cygwin.  But, if
you are on NT4, and have the NT Resource Kit, you can create
a shortcut to use the su.exe that comes with NTResKit.

Example:
    With NTResKit in C:\etc\ntreskit and Cygwin in C:\cygwin, the
    shortcut Target string would look something like this:

    C:\etc\ntreskit\su.exe  LogName  C:\cygwin\cygwin.bat  .  -w

You'll get a small command window with a password prompt.  Just
give the correct password for LogName and the first window will go
away and a Bash window will appear.

Regards,
Doug Wyatt