Re: Backing out of Cygwin-1.1.4

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 02:27:22PM -0400, Mark Schoenberg wrote:
>     With regard to issue 2, the problem I had was a follows: cygwin-compiled
>msp.exe, is supposed to use system() run msm.exe.  When launched from the bash
>prompt, it found msm.exe.  When launched from the no-cygwin-compiled cron.exe
>running as a daemon, it couldn't find msm.exe.  If you are correct that the
>msp.exe system() command always runs an sh.exe shell for msm.exe, then the
>problem must be that under my 1.1.4 installation, the launch from cron.exe does
>not supply the correct PATH.  How does sh.exe know the PATH?

If you're running it as a "daemon" it finds the PATH just like any other Windows
program.  You have to set the global path via the control panel.  This hadn't
changed.

>Rather than use the Cygwin choice of PATH, I generally set my PATH
>variable in a .bashrc file.  Could the difference between 1.1.2 and
>1.1.4 be that in 1.1.2 I had a PATH-setting .bashrc file in a sensible
>place, but in 1.1.4 I do not?

The .bashrc file is only run when you are invoking bash.  /bin/sh is not bash,
unless you have copied bash to /bin/sh.

>The sh.exe PATH seems to include the Windows PATH variable, since the hack that
>got things working under 1.1.4 was to put the directory in which msm.exe
>resides in the Windows PATH.

See above.

So, it sounds like all of your "1.1.4" problems are related to the way that
you have set things up.  I assume that if you dropped the Cygwin 1.1.2 DLL
into your setup your problems would persist.

cgf