Problem using Cygwin on Windows 2000

I'm having a problem using Cygwin on Windows 2000.  I'd like to know a) if
anyone else is having this problem, and b) if anyone knows what I can do
about it.  I've checked the FAQ and searched the mailing list archives, but
so far I haven't seen this issue addressed.

To begin with, I'm using Windows 2000 Professional (upgraded from Windows NT
4.0).

I used the setup.exe program to install all the usual packages.  When asked,
I said I wanted to install Cygwin for all users, not just the user
installing Cygwin (the Administrator).

When I run cygwin.bat as the Administrator, everything works perfectly.

When I run cygwin.bat under a user account, I get the following message:

     bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!

Then I get a bash prompt.  When I type "ls" I see the C:\cygwin\bin
directory, though when I type "pwd" I'm told the present working directory
is /usr/bin.

If I try to do "ls /usr", I'm told that there is no such file or directory.
When I do "ls /", I see the root directory on my C drive--i.e., C:\.  (If I
try that as Administrator, I see the Cygwin directory, C:\cygwin, which I
gather is what I'm supposed to see.)

bash does not read /etc/profile, and my path does not get modified.

Does this problem sound familiar to anyone?  I know Cygwin wasn't designed
for Windows 2000, but I'm hoping I can get it to work with a little
tweaking.

--
Russell Hanneken
rhanneken@pobox.com