RE: Problem using Cygwin on Windows 2000

It looks like permissions problem - Cygwin cannot access registry key (mount
table) when running as normal user. Win2k has more stringent access control
than WinNT by default. I just tried - mount entries created under HKLM are all
Full control for Administrator and System and Read only for everybody else.
Cygwin opens HKLM keys with desired access KEY_ALL_ACCESS (as opposed to HKCU
keys that are opened read-only). I suspect, that this makes open fail, because
requested access rights are not granted.

You can check access with regedt32. It is interesting if anybody could compare
ACL for Cygwin keys in HKLM for WinNT and Win2k. You can also try to set full
control for your account just to check if it helps for HKLM\Software\Cygnus
Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2 and all subkeys.

-andrej