Re: tar -C dir option makes dir relative to current dir

--- Jon Mountjoy <mountjoy@netcomuk.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have read all docs and couldn't solve my problem.  In a make file I have:
>  cd foo && tar blah blah | tar -C j:/foobar
>
> Now I run the make file from the l: drive (so l:/foo exists).
>
> The problem is that when the tar on the right gets run, it tries to place
> the files in the directory:
>   /cygdrive/l/foo/j:/foobar
> which of course isn't a valid directory.

As I see it, tar is assuming the j:/foobar is a relative path since the string
doesn't begin with /.  This causes the prefix /cygdrive/l/foo to be added to
make the path absolute.

If you:
   mkdir /j
   mount -b j:/ /j
   tar -C /j/foobar
then tar will see the string beginning with / and not make the false assumption
that the path isn't absolute.

The other option is to modify tar and submit the patches to
cygwin-apps@soures.redhat.com for consideration.

Cheers,

=====
--- <http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com> ---