RE: Rsh starts notepad but no window

Karri,

	If I understand your question, you would like to launch a windows
gui app on a PC running cygwin's inetd daemon from a remote PC. Your test of
this is to use the rsh client on pc A to open notepad on pc B and when you
test notepad runs on pc B, but no GUI is displayed, is this correct?

	I have tried to accomplish this and was unable to get it to work.
This could be due to a misconfiguration of the rsh/rshd on my systems, note
that I have never setup any .rhosts files etc. However I was able to cause
notepad to run and be visible using Corinna Vinschen's latest ssh/sshd port
configured to use the inetd super daemon. So I know this can be done.

	If as you say notepad runs, is in the remote pc's task list, but no
gui is seen than I would check the settings for the account that the inetd
service is running under on the remote pc. As far as I can tell you must
configure the service to Log On as a System Account with the Allow Service
to Interact with Desktop checked. You can find these settings under Control
Panel/Services/Cygwin inetd/Startup. If you are running inetd under another
account, can you log on interactively using this account? If not that would
seem to be your problem. Check the User Rights under user manager and add
the right to Log On Locally to this user and see if that fixes it. Hope this
helped

Corinna's ssh port can be located here:
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Vinschen_Cori
nna/V1.1.4

- Mike Barker