FW: Please help-- I need a non-graphical version of emacs for Cygwin.

Hi,

the screen buffer size has to be the same as the window size
("Properties..." in the Window menu of the window your shell runs
in). Emacs uses as much lines as it can get and this is solely
determined by the screen buffer size. If the visible window size is
smaller than that, you'll have to scroll. I'm not aware of any Emacs
command line switch to alter this behaviour.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka, PhD