Re: ln -f changes permissions on NT

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 03:53:43PM -0400, Tweedy, Laura wrote:
>I am running into permission problems with ln -f.  I have a file that
>is read-only and I want it to remain so.  I am making a hard link to
>it in another location.  This link is done in a makefile which uses
>ln -f to make the link.  The link works fine, but if making the target
>requires that it be removed first, the permissions become read-write.

I don't see an easy way around this.  The file system semantics for
Windows are different from UNIX.  On UNIX, you can unlink a file which
has read only permission.  AFAIK, you can't do that on Windows without
first changing the permissions of the file.

So, if you change the permissions to unlink a file you also change the
permissions of any files hard linked to that file, just like UNIX.  The
problem is that there is no way of knowing (or at least I don't know how
to find out) which files are linked to the file that you're deleting.

Like I said, I don't see any easy way around this problem but if someone
has a solution, please post it here.

cgf