Re: Setting cygdrive prefix to '/' causes disappearing mounts

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 06:35:02AM -0700, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>For those of you using the // prefix for unmounted drives I urge you to
>reconsider.  Either start using /cygdrive or rename /cygdrive to something more
>to your liking such as /umnt but stay away from changing it to //.

Just for the record, changing the cygdrive prefix to '/' does not result
in paths that begin with '//'.  Cygwin goes to great pains to ensure that it
emits a path with a '//' only when referencing a UNC path.  So, if you set
your cygdrive prefix to '/' and move to the d: drive, pwd will report /d.

If you think about it for a second, this is consistent with the way the root
directory works.  Setting the cygdrive prefix to the empty string would
imply that you could use just 'a' (no slash) to reference the a: drive.

Anyway, attempting to set the cygdrive prefix to either '' or '//' will
fail thanks to Kazuhiro's recent change.

Cygwin already allows you to use '//a' to reference the A: drive but, as Earnie
says, this usage is discouraged.

cgf