Virtual memory exhausted...

When compiling XSB version 2.2 with the default CFLAGS  (which
included a -O4)  I got a "virtual memory exhausted" message.

Initially, this machine had been set up with 150M of virtual memory
(and 64K of physical memory).   According to task manager, it
bombed at about 200K of total memory commit, which seemed
about right.   I  spent a lot of time getting rid of unnecessary
stuff on my hardrive, and increased the virtual memory
allocation to 500MB.

Same result.  gcc threw in the towel when total memory
use was about 200MB, even though task manager showed
that there was over 300MB remaining.

There were some rather old messages related to "virtual
memory exhausted" in the mail archives, but I was unable
to find anything helpful.

?

(By the way, I got it to build by removing optimization
entirely. )

Running cygwin 1.4.1 on NT4 SP 5.

John Velman
john.velman@hsc.com