Re: Strange cd/CDPATH behavior

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:40:54AM -0600, Erik Nolte wrote:
>> > The obvious answer is to stop using DOS style paths with cygwin cd's.
>> > Unfortunately, what I'm really doing is "cd $SRC_PATH" where SRC_PATH is
>> > "W:/src".  SRC_PATH must be a DOS style path to keep javac and other
>> > windows-based software happy (they can't grok paths without drive
>> letters).
>>
>> Use cygpath...
>> >cygpath -u -p c:/
>> /
>>
>> In your example, something like:
>> cd $(cygpath -u -p $SRC_PATH)
>> would probably work.
>

>I wish I could, unfortunately the cd's are inside makefiles and scripts that
>run both on cygwin/NT/Win2K and on Solaris.  And the Suns aren't too happy
>about cygpath.  I can hack around the problem by unsetting CDPATH or
>creating a SHELL_SRC_PATH (/c) and a APP_SRC_PATH (c:/).  The interesting
>thing is that B20.1 didn't exhibit the problem.  How compatible should 1.1.4
>be with B20.1?
>
>I'm under the impression that B20.1 is obsolete and that Cygnus (or at least
>the cygwin developers) would prefer people using 1.1.x.  Is that true or
>should we wait until 2.0?

Check the cygwin web page at http://www.cygwin.com/ and draw your own conclusions.
See if it mentions "2.0" and what it says about "B20.1".

FWIW, I haven't seen anyone mention that this is a *bash* idiosyncrasy.  Bash is
apparently not dealing well with c:\foo style paths, which is hardly surprising.

I doubt that these problems show up in Solaris since there is no possibility
that you'll ever see a x:\ path there.  I'm not sure why you are not using
POSIX paths for what you need to do but if you need to use x:\ paths in bash
your best alternative is to investigate the problem in the bash source and
offer a fix to the bash maintainer.

cgf