OpenGL: did you decide about distribution with cygwin ?

There has been some concern lately about the availability of OpenGL under
the cygwin distribution. I think I explained about the version confusion.
Did you (Chris, DJ, Corinna) decide if OpenGL will continue to be included
in cygwin's  distribution ? I really think that would be more convenient
for programmers who want to build OpenGL apps in the cygwin environment.

>I do see an opengl-1.1.0-1.tar.gz in the latest/opengl directory that is
>NEWER than the previous opengl-1.2.1-1.tar.gz. I remember that DJ put
>this file in the latest directory but I didn't notice that the version
>was older than the previous version.
>
>This will undoubtedly generate a lot of confusion. I've removed the
>directory until this is sorted out.
>
>I think that the best plan now if for you, or someone, to make a version
>of the library available somewhere besides sources.redhat.com and let
>people try it for a while. Once it looks like everything is working
>correctly we can look into reinstating it in latest/opengl.
>
>cgf
>
>opengl-1.1.0-1.tar.gz is the last version. The opengl-1.2.1-1.tar.gz name
>resulted from a mistake from my part about which version of opengl M$ was
>providing. Please consult the archives for my message explaining what was
>changed between from opengl-1.2.1-1.tar.gz to opengl-1.1.0-1.tar.gz . The
>sources didn't change. opengl-1.2.1-1.tar.gz should be removed. The
>corresponding source file could be simply renamed with a 1.1.0 version.
>
>opengl-1.1.0-1 is really stable; I have been using it for about two months
>now. The only change I forsee is when the next version of the GLUI library
>will come out, sometime this fall.
>
>I don't have an ftp or web site of my own, so DJ agreed to host this on
>the Cygwin site.
>
>The need for opengl-1.1.0-1.tar.gz comes from some cygwin distribution
>"peculiarities": Cygwin, I mean cygwin-1.1.4.tar.gz, contains 3 front-end
>libraries related to OpenGL: libopengl32.a, libglu32.a and libglut32.a ,
>but it does not contain the corresponding .h files, so opengl programmers
>were out of luck in Cygwin. It did not contain the glut32.dll either,
>without which libglut32.a is useless. I packaged cygwin-compatible
>versions of GL/gl.h, GL/glu.h and glut.h along with glut32.dll to resolve
>these problems. I added the GLUI library, which I find really usefull to
>build GLUT and OpenGL GUIs. I agreed to maintain this package.
>
>If you don't want to host that package, I suggest that at least GL/gl.h,
>GL/glu.h and glut.h are added to /usr/include in the next Cygwin release.
>People could get glut32.dll at the GLUT web site. I could try to have
>GLUI's author keep a Cygwin precompiled version of the library on his
>site. But I think the current packaging is more convenient for Cygwin users.

André Bleau, ing., analyste
email: bleau at courriel dot polymtl dot ca
(Fight SPAM: encode your email-address)

Département de génie électrique et         Electric Engineering and
de génie informatique                      Computer Engineering department
École Polytechnique de Montréal            Montreal Polytechnic School