Re: Console output oddity

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Fielding" <keithf@gaast.demon.co.uk>
To: <cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2000 10:01 PM
Subject: Console output oddity

> I have noticed a very odd behaviour when I am sending a large amount of
> output to the console screen.
> If I "cat" a large text file in a bash window it takes about 20 times
> longer than if I "type" the same file in a DOS window. If I press and
> hold down the CONTROL, SHIFT or ALT key as soon as the "cat" is started
> then it runs about 4 times as fast. (If I hold the key down while
> starting the "cat" it runs at the lower speed but the speed increases if
> I release the key and then press it again.)
> A simple C program which just loops printing a counter to stdout can be
> speeded up by a factor of about 4 by holding down a key while it runs.
> It can be speeded up by a factor of about 20 by compiling it with the
> "-mno-cygwin" switch.
> Can anyone offer an explanation?

I reported this problem some time ago, I think the topic was called "printf
is faster when piped through tee". I can't reproduce the effects you talk
about when holding a key, on my system (W2k) cat is actually marginally
faster than type.
The C program that you can speed up with -mno-cygwin can get almost the same
speed increase if piped through cat or tee.

AFAIK, the problem was never fixed -- "Patches are Gratefully ConsideredT",
but I can't fix it and nobody else seems to care...