Re: Question if I may

Corinna,

Thank you so much for your time.

Situation:
Win NT 4.0 Server running sshd (OpenSSH)
Win NT 4.0 Workstation running the GUI SSH client from ssh.com

Server Config:
cygwin version = 1.1.4 (the latest version as of a few days ago)
sshd version = latest (as of a few days ago)
I have generated the host keys and passwd file.

Nearly everything works fine.  I can connect from a workstation to the
server and run the normal shell programs.  However when I try to run any
command character programs, edit, pmon, emacs, vi, or anything that draws
data to the command window it dies.  Usually the response is it just hangs
the connection and sits there.  Then if I look at the actual process on the
server it shows that the process xyz is running.   It is like it is trying
to run but can not display the data correctly through the ssh terminal
connection.  I would think that it must be something I am doing.  Some
config option I have not set or some ENV variable that I have not set.  I
have tried this situation with both the cmd.exe and bash.exe shells.

Another situation, if you start SSHD from a command prompt and not as a
service when you try to run VI from the workstation the window on the
server that you started SSHD with show the VI screen (but it is hung/locked
up)  you have to open a new window and kill the process for it to regain
control of the system.

Thank you again for all your help.

Bret

At 10:21 AM 10/3/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Bret Jordan wrote:
> >
> > Re:
> > Running sshd (openssh) on windows NT
> >
> > Preface:
> > I have successfully installed sshd on my NT box, and can attach to it via
> > an ssh client.
> >
> > Problem:
> > I am unable to run any command character program (vi, edit, emacs -nw,
> > etc.) through the ssh connection.  I have tried both the cmd.exe and
> > bash.exe shells.  By chance, would you be able to point me in the correct
> > direction (i.e. can this be done on NT?)?  If not, I am sorry to bother
> you.
>
>You don't bother me but I would prefer to discuss this things on the
>cygwin mailing list as I asked for in the README. If you are not
>subscribed, simply send an empty email to
>
>         mailto:cygwin-subscribe@sources.redhat.com
>
>On the other hand, I can't help you without more information. The fact
>that you are unable to run vi/edit/emacs is not very helpful. What
>does that mean? Do they not start? Do they start but crash afterwards?
>Do they run but the screen is messed up? Which version of Cygwin are
>you using? Which OS? etc.
>
>I can assure you that it basically works. I'm using ssh connection to
>my W2K box every day so I assume your system is missing some setting
>($TERM?).
>
>Corinna
>
>--
>Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
>Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
>Red Hat, Inc.
>mailto:vinschen@cygnus.com

Bret Jordan                       Dean's Office
LAN Manager              College of Engineering
801.585.3765                 University of Utah
              jordan@coe.utah.edu