Re: BUG: Invalid assumption about file paths beginning with '\'

> > > I would have thought that the whole point of the CygWin project was
> >
> >... to make Windows look like a POSIX/Unix environment, so that it
> >would be easy to port existing GNU tools to it without having to teach
> >all those tools how to behave like Windows programs.
>
> And what would be the advantage of that?!;-)

Cygnus (now Red Hat) sells custom versions of the GNU tools, which run
on, among other things, Windows.  Creating Cygwin was the fastest way
to get those tools onto Windows.  Purely selfish, I admit, but the
truth.

Since then, many other reasons have come up for having Cygwin work
this way.