Re: Please help

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> At 05:53 PM 10/11/2000, J. E. Touma wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >I'm having a problem compiling my C++ code under cygwin. It compiles
> >fine under Linux and Solaris.
> >Here is the error message I'm getting after I type make
> >
> >g++ -mno-cygwin -L/cygnus/mingw/lib -o afsri vecmatlib.o myutils.o Sri.o
> >mymath.o srifuncs.o irmaimage.o -lm
> >Sri.o(.text$__ls__H3ZcZt18string_char_traits1ZcZt24__default_alloc_template2b0i0_R7ostreamRCt12basic_string3ZX01ZX11ZX21_R7ostream+0x18):Sri.cc:
> >undefined reference to `ostream::write(char const *, int)'
> >collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >make: *** [afsri] Error 1
> >

> >Now if I compile without -mno-cygwin -L/cygnus/mingw/lib (so that I can
> >run the code with the DLL) it works fine.
> >I have all the appropriate header files. What is frustrating is that  I
> >don't even use ostream::write(char const *, int)' in the Sri.cc
> >mentioned above. Yes I open a file stream but I write asci text to it,
> >not binary.
> >
> >Is there a problem with the fstream.h file? It is on my system.
> >
> >Any insight into this problem is appreciated.
> >
> >Regads,
> >jim
>
> Your problem is obviously at link time, not compile time, so there's no
> issue with include files.  Your problem is the library you want isn't
> getting linked in.  So, the question is, which library are you using?
> Are you pulling in ostream from iostream.h or ostream?  This will tell
> you whether you need the standard C++ library or the "old" stream stuff.
> Once you know that, you'll be better able to find the library you're looking
> for.  As I recall, MS sectioned out the stream stuff from their standard
> runtime library back around VC++ 4 or 5.  This was done to accommodate the
> use of either the "old" stream implementation or the new standard C++
> template stuff.  I forget all the details but searching the MSDN site should
> tell you which libraries you need depending on which version of the stream
> stuff you're trying to use.  Once you determine the library you need and
> link it in, you'll be done.
>
> Strictly speaking, if this works fine with Cygwin and not with -mno-cygwin,
> then this is a Mingw issue.  You might find some additional information and
> help on this subject if you check out www.mingw.org.
>
> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
> 118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX

Larry,
I am using the header files without the .h extension, like
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

I am also using the latest version of cygwin.

--
Linux 2.2.13-7mdksmp #1 SMP Wed Sep 15 16:38:50 CEST 1999 i686
  8:40pm  up 51 days, 20:58,  3 users,  load average: 2.02, 2.07, 2.01

     .-.
     /v\    L   I   N   U   X
    // \\  >Phear the Penguin<
   /(   )\