Re: bugs in zip and bash

> 1)  :-)  I don't care for the new cygwin icon; it looks too dark and clunky.

I've got a copy of the old one, I was going to (at some point) add it
as a second icon to the installation so that you'd be able to swap
them.  It's a low-priority thing.

> 5) I'm totally lost with the setup.exe GUI on the screen that says
> "Select packages to install".

> a) It has this same message even if I'm only downloading tarballs to
> my local machine from the net.

I assume you want it to say "Select packages to download", right?
Easy patch - feel free to try changing it yourself; you might surprise
yourself ;-)

> b) I have no clue when/how/why I'm supposed to use the Prev/Curr/Exp
> and Full/Part buttons.

Then you probably don't need to use them.  Seriously, a Help button is
on the todo list, but I've gotten surprisingly little complaints about
that dialog.

Prev/Curr/Exp chooses the previously stable, current stable, or
experimental versions of all packages (if available).  Full/Part
toggles between a full listing of package, or a partial listing
showing only those setup expects to change.

> c) There should be buttons like "select all" or "unselect all" and
> such.

One idea was to group things by category, so you could select/deselect
whole categories.  Nobody has volunteered to do that either.

> d) Why are all these files (.log, .log.full, .lst.gz, setup.ini) scattered
> around in different places (/etc, /, download dir)?  Can't they be in one or
> two places?

> I don't know which ones, if any, are controlling the behavior of
> setup.exe.

/etc/setup/installed.db lists all installed packages.
/etc/setup/*.lst.gz are used for uninstalling old packages before
installing new versions.

setup.log* contain a terse and full log of the setup.  Save these if
you have problems with setup, otherwise you can delete them.  They are
in / so they're easy to find (if you're having problems, we don't want
finding these to be one of them).

setup.ini is in with the downloaded .tar.gz files because it is part
of the ftp mirror.

> Can I delete all of them?

Not the ones in /etc/setup, but you can delete the others.

> e) A help screen for setup.exe would be good.  I couldn't seem to
> find the right info on the cygwin web page.

There isn't any help yet.  Most people don't have problems with setup;
it's very hard to do something bad with setup.

> f) For example, if I want to install an older version of bash (I have two
> tarballs in my latest/bash directory) what do I need to do?  I ended up
> untar'ing it myself and manually installing it.

Run setup.  Select "Full" in the chooser dialog.  Click on the bash
version until you get to the one you want.  Continue.

> 6) Could you put some marker on the emails from the cygwin mailing list, so
> they are easily identifiable from an email client?  Like putting the list
> name as the first name in the To: line or putting [cygwin] on the subject
> line?

There are plenty of markers.  They're just not in places where users
see them, but mail programs can.  Filter on "Sender: cygwin-owner" for
example.

> 7) I switched the mounts for /usr/bin and /usr/lib to be symlinks and it
> broke setup.exe for upgrading to new packages.  Is this documented?

Setup should never use /usr/bin and /usr/lib itself.  It knows that
those go to /bin and /lib.  If you change them, you're on your own.

> 8) In general, I'm as happy as a clam with cygwin (only a couple
> barnacles).  Keep up the good work!

Thanks!