Re: Adding Cygwin FAQ to distro

Sure, not all users will find the FAQ but I anticipate that at least
20% of the users that install Cygwin will go looking for a FAQ under
/usr/doc. And the FAQ should also point out where to get the latest
version of the FAQ from as question 1. An outdated FAQ is better than
no FAQ.

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> You realize that a FAQ included in a distribution is guaranteed to
> be out-of-date almost immediately, right?
>
> "I checked the FAQ and it didn't even mention this!  I think a simple
> thing like this should be in the FAQ!"

The FAQ explicitly states that it is not up to date. And yet it's helpful.
Plus users can also make suggestions for improvement that way.

> "It is in the FAQ."
>
> "It's not in my FAQ!"

Why would there be more than one FAQ? Do we need a FAQ maintainer?

> "Well, you have to read the latest FAQ."
>
> "How was I supposed to know that there was a newer FAQ?!!!"
>
> "Did you check the FAQ entry on this?"

People can say this already since there exists a FAQ.
I don't say that the FAQ should be taken as the main source of
information but there is some useful stuff there that can
be made more accessible. That's all.

Regards,

Neil