Re: logging onto a PC running Cygwin from another workstation

Please do not reply to me directly.  Use the list.

On Thursday 19 Oct 00, Charles Werner writes:
> David,
> Thanks for the rapid reply-- I appreciate this very much.
> The PC is running NT4 under cygwin ="CYGPC".  The workstation is a SUN
> running Solaris="SUN".
> I want CYGPC to act as a server: I want to log onto the CYGPC from the SUN.

OK.

> I've made some progress:
>
> I read the documentation in /usr/doc/inetutils-1.3.2.README

You mean you hadn't before?  Sheesh...

> and also fixed the bug in iu-config that was mentioned in the
> mailing list. When I started inetd from the command line (NT4) the
> services were running, but I could not log in, since my password was
> always rejected.
>
> next I have attemped the inetd --install-as-service approach
> but the PC complained that cygwin1.dll was not in the path.
> I've now added C:\cygwin\bin into the system path.  and I will try again.
>
> What does the environment variable CYGWIN have to be set to: I am referring
> to the following paragraph in the README.
> I would prefer not to change the registry.

You may not need to set CYGWIN at all.  The settings are documented in
the User's Guide at <http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/>.

> For all application started via NT/W2K service manager under
>   LocalSystem account, the following restrictions apply:
>
>   - The environment variable CYGWIN must be either set in the system
>     environment to be active from start on or you can set CYGWIN thru
>     the registry:
>     Under the key HKLM\Software\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options
>     create a key of type REG_SZ (String) named like the full DOS path
>     to the application, eg. "C:\usr\bin\inetd.exe" and with the value
>     equal to the preferred CYGWIN settings, eg "binmode tty ntsec".
>
>   - The system environment variable PATH must contain the path
>     to the directory which contains the cygwin1.dll.
>
>   - No user mount point is valid anymore! You have to install all
>     your mount points in the system mount table. This doesn't
>     change after you have logged in to a normal user account eg.
>     via telnet/rlogin. It's possible that we can use the user
>     mounts as soon as somebody contributes a patch to login and
>     ftp that allows loading a user hive into the registry after
>     authentication.
>
> What does it mean that that the mount points are invalid?

It means that when you ran setup.exe to install Cygwin, you should
have chosen "Install For: All" rather than "Just Me".

What?!?  Too late?!?  Bugger!

(Just kidding, you can repair it with the mount command.  I'm working
on a FAQ entry.)

> After I login in, will I be in a cygwin environment?

Now go read the login README file.

Hope this helps.

David