Re: [cgf: Re: rxvt SEGV (Win98, 1.1.5s/2000-10-08)]

A few days ago, I wrote:

>  >  If you're really motivated, you can build cygwin yourself
>
>  Alas, much easier said than done.  My attempt to build was failing in
>  all kinds of strange ways, apparently related to configure getting the
>  wrong answers about the questions it was asking.  The first wrong
>  answer I noticed in my build log was:
>
>    checking whether gcc -L/scratch/jik/cygwin/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup -L/scratch/jik/cygwin/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/cygwin -L/scratch/jik/cygwin/build/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/w32api/lib -isystem /scratch/jik/cygwin/src/winsup/include -isystem /scratch/jik/cygwin/src/winsup/cygwin/include -isystem /scratch/jik/cygwin/src/winsup/w32api/include -isystem /scratch/jik/cygwin/src/newlib/libc/sys/cygwin -isystem /scratch/jik/cygwin/src/newlib/libc/sys/cygwin32 -B/scratch/jik/cygwin/build/i686-pc-cygwin/newlib/ -isystem /scratch/jik/cygwin/build/i686-pc-cygwin/newlib/targ-include -isystem /scratch/jik/cygwin/src/newlib/libc/include accepts -g... no
>
>  After several hours of trying various things to debug this, I finally
>  relized that the problem is that many of the tests in the configure
>  scripts rely on empty output from gcc to indicate that there were no
>  errors, but gcc was generating the warning "file patch prefix
>  `/scratch/jik/cygwin/build/i686-pc-cygwin/newlib/' never used" to
>  stderr, thus causing all of those tests to fail.
>
>  I worked around this problem and managed to get the build to finish by
>  moving gcc.exe to gcc.real and installing this as gcc:
>
>    #!/bin/sh
>
>    gcc.real "$@" 2>/tmp/err.$$
>    STATUS=$?
>    grep -v "file path prefix \`.*' never used" /tmp/err.$$ 1>&2
>    rm -f /tmp/err.$$
>    exit $STATUS
>
>  Is this something y'all expect to fail?  If so, is it documented
>  anywhere?  If not, can it be fixed?

If anyone answered this part of my message, I didn't see it; did some
send an answer to the mailing list without CC'ing it to me?

In any case, this is still broken in the 10/18 snapshot.

Can someone from the Cygwin team either acknowledge that there is a
problem here or explain why it isn't one? :-)

Thanks,

  jik