Re: non latin file names?

At 11:06 10/24/00 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Well, we wouldn't have the problem if someone contributed code to
>correct it.

er, um, actually there is no software to correct the problem...
it's a mind set thing... developers who's native/only language
doesn't use anything beyond 7bit ascii (hey, I'm in there too.)
are responsible for the legacy of code that wasn't ready for
an i18n and l17n world. Look how many years went by in computer
science before the idea of a letter outside of [A-Za-z] even
appeared. There is an awful lot of code out there that can't
cope because it was fundamentally flawed in the design by the
handicap that is ASCII. But this is a historic/religious debate,
so let's not go any further than this: dealing with code pages
and ascii mentality is a fact of life, the proper libraries
will make it easier.

>It's a free software project, right?

I've just added "{i|g}conv for cygwin" to my todo list. It's about
number 70, right after "learn how to build a lib.so under cygwin"
so no guarantee on when it will happen.