RE: bison having ^M problems?

--- Mike Ayers <x99969@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com]

> > mode while

> > binary mode.  Hint:
> > > >

>      This helps - a little.  The text for 'mount --help' describes some
> ways to modify cygdrive, but could have stood a little more text.  I
> had to guess, and wound up with:
>
> $mount -b -s --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive

Hmm...  The -s added a record to HKLM (the everyone option on setup) and you
had yours located in HKCU (the just me option on setup).

>     ...which changed my cygdrive flags to 0x00000022.  Does this mean
> binary mode?

Yes that means binary mode.  However, if you look at the output of cygcheck -s
-r -v carefully you may see two records.  One in HKLM and one in HKCU with
different flag values.  HKCU takes precedence over HKLM.  HKLM keys are used to
allow for multi-user workstations where more than one user uses it.  Any
changes a particular user makes to the mount tables should go to the HKCU.
This allow HKLM to be the default for a new user.

Cheers,

> 'mount --show-cygdrive-prefix' doesn't report flags (is
> this a bug?).

I wouldn't call it a bug, but it is a misfeature.

> > > Good call.  This should be a FAQ -- or perhaps setup should set
> > > cygdrive's mount mode to binary when 'Binary' is selected for other
> > > mounts?
> > >

>     I vote for FAQ, whether or not setup gets changed, and I'm not sure
> that it should be changed.  Consider someone who likes the /cygdrive
> naming scheme, uses binary mode for almost everything, and only uses
> mount to mount drives in text mode.  If setup were to interpret the
> mode flags, it would interpret incorrectly for such a user, who would
> have to reset the mount structure after every upgrade.  Also, you might
> want to include the info on how to interpret the cygdrive flags in the
> FAQ.

If setup had set /cygdrive to binary mode if UNIX files are chosen then you
wouldn't have had this problem and this thread wouldn't exist.  Besides setup
doesn't change what is already existing.  If it does it is a bug.

As for an entry in the FAQ, IIRC there is already discussion of the /cygdrive
pseudo mount.

Cheers,

=====

---         <http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com>         ---