Re: still stumped on sshd / ssh

csimstemplar@flashcom.net wrote:

> I still can't get my NT box set up as a sshd server. I have tried all the fixes that Corina has suggested, but to no avail. Is there perhaps a problem with the  login? When I type login, I am promted for a password, I enter the password and I get the error message password failed. This is the same error message I get from ssh, when I run sshd -d  in on cygwin window, and ssh -v localhost, from another.
>
> If I fix the problem with login, maybe the problem with ssh / sshd will disappear.

Do you intend to write this mail in some more copies or do you think
four is enough?

Again: If your login doesn't have the appropriate privileges, you can't
change the user context no matter if the password is correct.

Either you give the permissions to your account or you start sshd
as service under LocalSystem account which is the only one which has
the permissions by default.

If you start sshd from your own account you can login to your own
account using RSA/DSA authentication since you're not changing the
user context then. If your own account has no permission to change
the user context, forget login via password. Full stop. 9X users
may ignore that discussion.

On the other hand: Your settings in /etc/sshd_config might be
inappropriate. I suggest reading the ssh and sshd man pages.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                        mailto:cygwin@sources.redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.
mailto:vinschen@redhat.com