Re: How to run javac

Ok, but.... 8-)

I have never been one to follow directions for the sake of directions (even
from
someone who is always right from what I can tell... 8-), I must convince
myself
of something before I do it...

So, I'm wondering why?
I've never had any problems, I've been able to uninstall, etc, etc...
To do other than that seemed to make setup and usuabilty a lot more
unnatural.

Clearly, this does not mean I can't or won't hose myself, but are there any
concrete examples you can think of?

> > Actually, I tend to recommend and always do install cygwin in
> > the root directory. It gives the most natural unix like environment.
> >
> > There's nothing special about the root directory, you just have to be
> > sure you don't delete the couple of files that cygwin puts there.
> >

>We, the Cygwin supporters, don't recommend this.
>
> > Wondering how many others do this?
> >

>However, there are exceptions.  If you do do this, make sure you use a
>partition that only contains the Cygwin distribution.
>
> > Also, after this: javac /this/is/*.java works fine.
> >

>Only if your CWD is on the device that contains *.java.

Definitely true. Many windows boxes have single large
hard disks, and if not, I simply use relative pathnames.