Re: Subscribers to cygwin mailing list can post regardless of spam blocks

At 17:19 11/26/00 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
>ORBS blocks spam.  Anything else is just a beneficial side-effect.

That's a very selfish view DJ, ORBS is the "Open Relay
Behaviour-modification System". It's named for what it
hopes to accomplish: behaviour-modification. If you happen
to find the side effect of reducing spam more attractive
then the main purpose, perhaps you'd be better served by
some thing like the "Mail Abuse Prevention System" which
has a clearly stated purpose of preventing abuse. For those
that want further reading on the differences see
http://www.orbs.org/ and http://maps.vix.com/.

(yes, I split hairs and pick nits, I'm an engineer, it's what we do ;)

At 12:22 11/26/00 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Basically, I have grown extremely weary of replying to "Hey you bounced
>my email for no reason!" and "Would you please modify your software so
>that I can send email to the cygwin mailing list?  Thanks!!!" messages.

true, those are incredibly tedious.

>I think that adding even an informational bounce will cause
>clue-challenged people to complain.

but if that informational message is truly informational and
explains to them in simple terms what happened, and what they
should do?

>I'm as rabid a spam hater as they come, but I don't think that most of
>the people who receive this message are going to be on the vanguard of
>spam fighting.

but if it explains clearly do they need to be? I'd like to think
not.

>I guess there could be a huge number of people who are clueful and are
>fighting the good fight when their ISP screws up.  I know that Chuck
>Wilson has been doing this, for instance.  I guess the proof will be
>if we actually start seeing an increase in the amount of spam here
>that is going through open relays.

I don't think your change will increase the spam... as the spammers
would have to subscribe first... and I just can't picture too many
doing that.

now the forces of openness
     have a powerful and
     unexpected new ally