Re: To all of developers: please use .txt not .doc extension

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 21:28:51 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 06:21:13PM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>--- Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@poboxes.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>     I'm thankfull for the great effort everybody is making
>>>     to get cygwin better and better. I just wanted to make an
>>>     additional note, that, would all cygwin developers
>>>     remember that the .doc file is associated to the Word and
>>>     the prefered way to refer to text files is .txt
>>>

>>The preferred method for reading text files in Cygwin is to use a pager such as
>>less or using read-only mode in an editor such as vim.  IIRC, view is a
>>read-only mode for vim.  Extention of .doc indicates to me that it is
>>documentation.
>
>I imagine that most of the doc files come straight from their respective
>packages, too.  .doc files mean something different on UNIX than they
>do on Windows.
>
>cgf

From http://www.silicon-alley.com/ext/d.html, which is by no means
definitive:
.doc (1) t [any] software documentation
.doc (2) t [any] version of .sty with added comments > LaTeX
.doc (3) b [DOS, Win] > MS Word > document

Also, I grepped a linux 2.4.0 tree and found 5 files for doc$ and 193
files for txt$.  The total file-and-directory count for the tree was
7955.

My sympathies go with .txt denoting ASCII rather than the ambiguous and
overused .doc denoting what?  framemaker?  Word?  Latex?

The same URL above, under t.html, gives:
.txt t [any] ASCII text.

Richard Hitt