Re: [avail for test] ncurses-5.2-2 (CYGWIN=tty BROKEN?)

Christian Jullien wrote:

> Trying to help you with curses, I've just compiled my own emacs clone
> (EmACT) with this new package.
>
> Every things works well with curses but I discovered a bug which is more
> related to CYGWIN.
>
> First, I used to have:
>
> CYGWIN=binmode
> TERM=cygwin
>
> but, in that mode, even with a call to raw() Ctrl-C exits the program.

Which program -- EmACT?  Does it trap SIGINT?  If not, then Ctrl-C
SHOULD exit the program. That's what Ctrl-C does.

> Setting CYGWIN=binmode tty
> Fix the problem ... BUT NOW BASH IS BROKEN.

broken how?  examples -- what commands do you run and how do they fail?

It looks to me that your path and mount table are messed up (but that is
probably unrelated to the problems you are experiencing).  More below.

>         //d/winnt
>         /bin
>         /usr/local/bin
>         //d/X11R6.4/bin
>         .

This is bad.  The cygwin stuff should be in the front of your path.  If
you don't want it to be in the front ALWAYS, then just rearrange your
path within .bashrc. Then, when you are in bash, the path will be
cygwin-ically correct.  Outside of bash, the path will have windows
stuff first, if that's what you want.

Also, are you sure you're using the most up-to-date cygwin? 1.1.6?
cygcheck shouldn't report paths using the "//x/" syntax since that is
obsolete (and probably will be dropped soon).  It should report the path
using /cygdrive/x/ syntax.

Also, the cygwin-xfree distribution expects to live in /usr/X11R6/*.  So
you probably should do 'mkdir /usr/X11R6 && mount -b d:\\X11R6.4\\bin
/usr/X11R6' or just 'mv /cygdrive/d/X11R6.4 /usr/X11R6'

> HOME = `/usr/jullien'
> OLDPWD = `/cygdrive/c/usr/jullien'

Oh no.  You installed with CYGWIN-ROOT = C:\, didn't you?

> D:\cygwin\bin  /usr/bin  system  binmode
> D:\cygwin\lib  /usr/lib  system  binmode
> D:\cygwin  /        system  binmode
> \\.\tape0  /dev/st0  system  binmode

No, you didn't.  CYGWIN-ROOT is D:\cygwin.  Now I am really confused --
is /usr/jullien (e.g. D:\cygwin\usr\jullien) a symlink to
/cygdrive/c/usr/jullien (C:\usr\jullien)?  Otherwise, I'm not sure how
/usr/jullien == /cygdrive/c/usr/jullien because the mount structure
doesn't seem to suggest that.

--Chuck